DEPARTMENT of GEOGRAPHY
Applications are invited for the Ron Lister Visiting Fellowship in the Department of Geography, from Geographers in all fields of the discipline. The Fellowship is named after the founding Professor of Geography at the University of Otago, recognising his interests in, environmental issues, planning, development, applied geography, and the geographies of India, China, and the wider Asia-Pacific region. Applicants are expected to have a PhD in Geography or closely related subject, with preference given to those who are from or undertake research in India, China or the wider Asia-Pacific region and who share one or more of the late Professor Lister's interests.
The Fellowship is awarded annually and is open both to established scholars and to new and emerging scholars, to spend time at the University of Otago, in New Zealand.
The Visiting Fellow will spend up to four months in the Department of Geography, undertaking research and contributing to teaching programmes and activities in the second semester (July - October) of 2019.Contribution to teaching and other activities would include some or all of the following:
- Teaching a module in one of the geography 400 level papers.
- Contributing one or two guest lectures in the undergraduate geography programme (as appropriate to teaching expertise).
- Facilitating two to three interactive masters classes with the geography / planning / environmental management postgraduate cohort in the department based on mutually agreed topics.
- Giving a formal departmental research seminar.
- Presenting a public lecture, the content of which pays some degree of homage (by virtue of topic or research location) to Ron Lister.
- Connecting with research being conducted by relevant academics in the department (with a view to collaborative endeavour).
There are 13 weeks of teaching in each semester, with the second semester commencing on Monday, 8 July 2019.
The Visiting Fellowship provides assistance with travel, accommodation, subsistence, and research expenses to a maximum of NZ$12,000, depending on the term of the Fellowship. It does not provide a stipend, so the Fellow will need to receive a salary from their existing employer during their tenure of the Visiting Fellowship.
This position is supported by funds from the Ron Lister Trust.
Specific enquiries may be directed to Professor Etienne Nel, Department of Geography, via the contact details below.
To submit your application please click the apply button below and include the following within your application:
A covering latter / statement of interest of one to two pages on length, detailing your research interests, work you would hope to undertake if appointed, potential teaching contribution and your suitability for the post.
A curriculum vitae.
Names and addresses of two referees who would be willing to support your application.
Applications quoting reference number 1801588 will close on Monday, 1 October 2018.
Contact: Professor Etienne Nel at +64 3 479 8548
To see a full job description and to apply online go to: https://otago.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=1801588
Equal opportunity in employment is University policy.
E tautoko ana Te Whare Wananga o Otago i te kaupapa whakaorite whiwhinga mahi.