Experience: Tertiary related teaching in the skills required
DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY
Applications are invited for the Ron Lister Visiting Fellowship in the Department of Geography, from geographers in all fields of the discipline. The Fellowship is named for the founding Professor of Geography at the University of Otago, recognising his interests in environmental issues, planning, development, applied geography, and the geographies of the India, China, and the wider Asia-Pacific region. Preference will be given to applicants who share one or more of those interests, and study, or work in, one or more countries in that region.
The Fellowship is awarded annually and is open both to established scholars and to new and emerging scholars, to spend time at the University of Otago, in New Zealand.
The Visiting Fellow will spend up to four months in the Department of Geography, undertaking research and contributing to teaching programmes and activities in the second semester of 2018.Contribution to teaching and other activities would include:
- Teaching a module in one of the geography 400 level papers.
- Contributing one or two guest lectures in the undergraduate geography programme (as appropriate to teaching expertise).
- Facilitating 2-3 interactive masterclasses with geography postgraduate cohort based on mutually agreed topics.
- Running a staff workshop/cafe (imparting translatable ideas rather than delivering research specifics).
- Giving a formal departmental research seminar.
- Presenting a public lecture, the content of which pays some degree of homage (by virtue of topic or research location) to Ron Lister.
- Connecting with research being conducted by relevant academics in the department (with a view to collaborative endeavour).
There are 13 weeks of teaching in each semester, with the second semester commencing on Monday, 9 July 2018.
It is assumed that the Fellow will continue to receive a salary from elsewhere during their tenure of the Visiting Fellowship. The successful applicant will be offered assistance with travel, accommodation, subsistence, and research expenses to a maximum of NZ$12,000, depending on the term of the Fellowship.
This position is supported by funds from the Ron Lister Trust.
- Please include the following within your application:
- A statement of interest, detailing your objectives and suitability for the post.
- A curriculum vitae.
- Names and addresses of two referees who would be willing to support your application.
Applications quoting reference number 1800502 will close on Tuesday, 3 April 2018.
To see a full job description and to apply online go to: https://otago.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=1800502
Equal opportunity in employment is University policy.
E tautoko ana Te Whare Wananga o Otago i te kaupapa whakaorite whiwhinga mahi.