We are passionate about building great software and making developers more productive. We have so many ideas ranging from better re-use of code, to applications of AI, new algorithms to improve quality, automation of development processes, and much more. But we need technical leaders who can own entire releases and make the important decisions so that we end up with products that are differentiated in the world both functionally and technically. If you have experience defining software products and want to improve the way software is built, you should learn more about this unique opportunity and apply today. In this role your skills at making strong technical decisions will be refined, and a growth path exists to roles with more responsibility and compensation.
DevFactory is changing how software is written. You can own part of that vision.This is a special opportunity for Senior level Technical Product Managers. Here are a just a few reasons why:
- By Developers for Developers: You know software development. Come define products you would love to use.
- Ownership: In this role you will work with the highest levels of product management leadership but will own entire releases of products. You will refine your product management skills and also your experience working with engineering delivery teams.
- Career Growth: Writing code is important for sure, but if you can make important decisions that help an entire dev team build the right product, you can make a bigger impact. This key fact is why the best technical product managers are hard to find and command higher compensation. This position has a growth path and roles that double the compensation from this level.
- Learn and Use Disruptive Tech: Every day you hear about how some new company is applying disruptive technology to a stagnant industry. Devfactory is your chance to learn exciting technologies but also how and when to use them. Come learn and use new technologies in AI, Machine Learning, Big Data analysis, NLP, PaaS Cloud services.
- Work/Life Balance: DevFactory staffs global, remove teams entirely using Crossover.com. You won’t be an “outsider” who is remote when other key players are all in an office together. We are a fully remote company and we love it. This gives you added flexibility and the opportunity to work with some of the best people around the world.
A Bit about DevFactory
The DevFactory culture is rooted in a deep appreciation for software development combined with a passion to use objective data to make development better. We are inspired by the industrial manufacturing revolution that happened over 100 years ago. Jobs were loosely defined, not measured, not specialized, not automated, and the result was terrible quality and productivity. Today manufacturing is dominated by automation, scientific measurement, and well defined processes. The result is very high quality and 100x greater productivity. We see the same opportunity in large scale software development. We build software that makes software development 10X better and we are applying the latest tools, technologies, and trends to make this happen.
Responsibilities of the Role
As a Technical Product Manager, your core responsibility is to take high-level direction on a product or idea and create the detailed specifications necessary to define a software release. Key responsibilities to accomplish this include:
Required Education, Experience, Qualities, and Technologies
- Making important technical decisions and documenting the requirements very clearly
- Breaking down large complex ideas into simple architectures that have modular components
- Defining those components to have clear inputs/outputs, functionality, and important technology choices
- Creating high-level milestone priorities
- Identifying and defining cross-team dependencies
- Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
- Experience: Recent hands-on experience defining/owning software releases
- Ownership of the technical definition and design of software products
- Experience communicating requirements in writing and using diagrams (such as architecture diagrams, data flows, and system component diagrams)
- At least 5 years of hands-on development experience in Java at some point in your career
- Experience working closely with engineering delivery teams and following a structured development process
Qualities: Strong candidates should:
- Take pride in creating simple architectures that are easy to understand and build
- Enjoy finding the right tool for the job (such as a third-party library) instead of creating everything from scratch
- Write clear, concise, specifications. Not long sprawling specifications
- Stay focused on the few important decisions that matter for success, and de-prioritize the rest
- Appreciate a structured and repeatable process over ad-hoc processes
We like to hire smart people who learn new tools/technologies as needed, but these are some of the notable technologies currently in use:
- Back end technologies based on both J2EE and frameworks like Spring
- Front end technologies including templating, CSS and JS frameworks
- Data related technologies including Amazon Aurora, other Relational databases, Nosql databases, Memory Caching systems, Full Text Search engines, Big Data systems
- Cloud or DevOps services like AWS, Docker, Azure, etc.
- Containerization technologies such as Docker, Swarm, and Kubernetes
- Message Queuing/Bus systems such as JMS and Amazon SQS
- Machine Learning systems such as TensorFlow
Total Compensation: $100/hr (40 productive hours/week)
Location: Global (remote)
Interested in Applying?
DevFactory is actively hiring candidates for this position through the CrossOver marketplace on Crossover.com, which is the standard for building all of our development and product management teams. Crossover is one of the premier development staffing companies today, offering high-paying jobs that are 100% remote, work from home. You never have to fight traffic to the office again and you have the freedom to choose when and where you put in your 40 hours to be most effective each week.
To qualify, please provide a resume/CV demonstrating the required experience and skills. From there, to help us find the top 1% of talent, there will be a series of interviews and online examinations. We realize these are challenging and can require a decent amount of time so we thank you in advance for your efforts. We are looking for the best, and if we have the chance to work together, you will appreciate the diligent process when you meet your teammates!